Monday, May 30, 2016

Why Polish children will never wonder which bathroom to use...


**DISCLAIMER: This post isn't meant to spark a debate on politics.




First off, ALL the world watches American politics. Oftentimes, when people find out we're American they'll want to discuss Trump vs. Clinton. Random people here express very decided opinions on the matter...sometimes I feel like they know more about American politics than I do!

But even I am aware of the recent debate about Obama's directive on bathroom rights for transgender students.

Which brings me to my observation:

Polish children will never wonder which bathroom to use. 

Okay never may be an exaggeration...but really.

I was curious about Poland's stance on transgender/homosexual rights. So I googled it, of course! As with most other political questions, Poland is unfailingly conservative.

To illustrate:

“If a person tries to infect others with their homosexuality, then the state must intervene in this violation of freedom.” (Poland's 2005 Prime Minister Kazimierz Marcinkiewicz, from the report on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Rights in Poland and Latvia)

Wow..

Yes, that was 2005. But you get what I mean.

From my first step on Polish soil I could see that Polish children will never question their sexual identity. They just never have the chance to wonder because their parents make it very VERY clear.

Boys wear blue. Girls wear pink.

And not like one pink bow. No, they are oftentimes covered from head to toe in bright, neon pink. Hats, shoes, everything!


I realized that it looks somewhat creepy to try to subtly take photos of little kids. Got one
blurry one from the Children's Day festival where I blended
 in with the other parents. haha

Back to the United States: You know that awkward moment when you see someones newborn baby wearing yellow, or light blue and you can't decide if you should exclaim how cute he is or how cute she is? And you look at it....and look again... (Let's be for real, no matter how proud that mother may be of her masculine little boy child, when you're peering down at his little face there is absolutely no difference between him and any other girl child.)

Thank goodness that awkward moment doesn't exist in Poland!