Tuesday, March 8, 2016

An introduction to Lublin

Despite our rough start with finding an apartment, we found one that we love. Not only does it have plenty of lighting that I need as an artist, but it is in a great location right in the heart of the city. Multiple bus stops are located within steps from our apartment, so we can easily get anywhere in the city for less than a dollar. (Oh yeah, that's the other amazing thing about living here. The exchange rate from the Polish zloty to US dollar is about 4:1. One of the things I love about being American!)

View from our window (gotta love the pigeons)
My favorite thing about where we live, is our close proximity to Old Town. Within ten minutes, I can walk through the 14th century Krakovian Gate and into a darling cobble-stoned Medieval town. According to my tourist guides, Lublin boasts the best preserved Medieval town in all of Poland.



14th Century Krakowska Gate and entrance to Old Town

Field trip day in Old Town

Found this one a back street...no idea what it is

Center of Old Town

Hotel overlooking hill on backside of Old Town

These alleys could keep me occupied for hours

Not technically in Old Town...

Check out the architecture! Renaissance anyone?

I need to ask someone to take a picture of me at these places to prove I'm here. I guess I feel kinda silly even taking any pictures, since its not really touristy here...at least not at this time of year. I'm the only one who walks around with a camera. Nerd!

Lublin's Royal Castle

Old Town at dusk

And now the Poles. First impression for most foreigners here is that the Poles are a reserved people. And yet, when you approach one, they are generally very friendly and willing to help. A few days after getting to Lublin, Alex and I were wandering the streets looking for a grocery store we had heard about and we stopped a girl on the street to ask for directions. As soon as we confronted her she opened up and chit-chatted with us as she walked with us all the way to the store.

This type of situation could only happen with the young Poles though. Anyone over about 30 doesn't speak English at all. The age differentiation coincides almost perfectly with the end of communism in Poland. Before the Solidarity Movement and the change of government, the Poles spoke Russian as their second language. Now, all of the young people speak English in addition to two or three other languages. (And I used to consider myself educated...)

The Poles are also distinct in appearance. There are the little old ladies...and they really are little. Like tiny tiny short. But sooo cute. And they all wear long dress coats and fur. Oh, how they love their fur. I have to get a picture someday. Young girls look like models. If you google it, there really is a stereotype that Polish girls are very pretty, and I believe it. But the real reason they look like models is they dress nicely, and they have stick legs.. Maybe it's the smoking, or maybe the walking, or maybe their diet. Probably all three. But they have tiny legs and they wear either black tights or skinny pants that show how bony they are all the way to their ankles. But finally, the other distinctive feature is the colors, or lack thereof. The answer to what is literally the Poland palette? Black.

Do they wear black year-round?

1 comment:

  1. I loved the beautiful, colorful homes and buildings downtown. I do like black though...for a shirt!

    ReplyDelete